Thank you, 2012. This has been one of the best years of my life.
Sarah and I were married at the end of October and have spent the last couple of months transitioning from two homes and families into one. I couldn’t ask for a more loving, supporting, and caring partner. She’s had an incredible year in her career and I only hope I’ve been as supportive of her as she’s been of me.
I made several trips to Appalachia this year, slowing down a little more each time, being more patient, listening more. After years of making pictures back home for a body of work I had yet to name, the word “testify” came up on a recent drive back from West Virginia. Testify: to make a statement based on personal knowledge or belief; bear witness; to serve as evidence or proof; to express a personal conviction. It’s a fitting name for my project. I look forward to sharing more in the coming year.
I’m excited about the direction the ‘Looking at Appalachia’ series is taking. I’d especially like to thank Shelby Lee Adams, Rob Amberg, and Sarah Hoskins for their time, candor, and generosity in collaborating with me for this series. I’m hoping to continue the conversation in 2013 with many others.
This year, my work was featured in Fraction Magazine and Light Leaked and was included in the newly launched Art Photo Index. I’ve met some amazing people this year, broken bread and raised glasses with new friends, and hit a stride in my work that I hope carries me through 2013.
I resolve to listen more and speak less, to write more, to read more, to slow down, to shoot more film, to laugh more, and to love bigger.
Here’s wishing you all the best in the coming year.
(Photo ©2012 Shaena Mallet Weddings)
- Looking at Appalachia | Justin Kaneps
- Looking at Appalachia: Les Stone
- Review: Faith, Serpents, and Fire: Images of Kentucky Holiness Believers
- Testify: the Kickstarter Project
- Where I’m From
- Sustainable Williamson | Economic Diversification in Appalachia
- Testify featured in Oxford American’s EYES ON THE SOUTH
- Testify in The Independent Weekly
- Looking at Appalachia | Joshua Dudley Greer
- Testify Update | Project Statement & Housekeeping