I’m a proud Appalachian, and if you read this blog for any length of time, I’m sure you’ll pick up on that. I’m also opinionated, hard-headed, and outspoken about issues near and dear to me.
I appreciate photography of all types, but I’m drawn to documentary work that reveals the human spirit. I tend to hoard photography books, drink too much coffee, listen to the same songs over and over again, and bore my friends with obscure facts about photography, Appalachia, and gadgets.
I’m currently enrolled in the Certificate in Documentary Arts program at the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University, where I’m also a part time instructor.
I’m the husband of a beautiful West Virginia girl. Together, we have four children, a slew of critters, and never a dull moment.
“Don’t forget to take your camera for a walk.” – Jim Merithew
- Looking at Appalachia | Robert Gumpert
- Honeysuckle Gets Me
- Moonshine: A Conversation with Bertien van Manen
- Looking at Appalachia | 50 Years After the War on Poverty
- The West Virginia Water Crisis for The Guardian
- My Favorite Photobook Buys of 2013
- Holler Ghosts, Bookmaking, and Such
- Holiday Giveway
- Looking at Appalachia | Susan May Tell
- Imagining Appalachia